Friday, October 17, 2008

On The Trail

Day 1

Well all, I'm in the airport - so there's not too much news in terms of the political sphere. The teevee just told me that there will probably be a delay so I'm going to be stuck in Phili for a little while longer which will give me even more time to bask in Americana.

America - as some of you have so unfortunately found out - is an absolute passion of mine. I love America. Many Canadians say that sarcastically, but I don't. I really mean it. So I hope you millions of readers out there will bear with me over the next 30 days as I oscillate between studying politics and studying these fine American creatures.

But enough of that. Let's get to the meat of it. I said that there wasn't too much news in terms of the political sphere, but there is big news from the sports sphere and there is one crucial lesson we can take from it.

Last night the Red Sox were down 7-0 to the Rays after 6 innings. Teetering on defeat, trailing the Rays 3-1 in the series, many fans had already left when Ortiz, Drew and Crisp started poking balls out of the park. The Sox came back to win in a stirring come from behind and extend the series. Even if you don't like the Sox, you had to admit that it was pretty inspiring. And informing...

The "Rally From Behind" is the most dangerous creature you can let out of the bag. It is a slippery slope. It is a million different metaphors, but mostly it is this - doom for one of the two at the table. Crushing, heartbreaking doom. You were SO CLOSE!! As soon as Ortiz tacked three up on the board with his home run, the Sox were inspired and the Rays suddenly found themselves on their heels. Momentum. It is one of the most basic forces in physics and means this: if you can gain a bit of it, you can steamroll. And if you can't get a good grip on it, you find yourself hurtling through space with nothing to hold on to.

What I'm trying to say is this, the Sox taught us a valuable lesson last night: It's Not Over Till It's Over.

The second you let yourself relax, that's when it starts to fall apart. So for everyone looking at Obama and thinking, "+14!! Sick! I'm gonna get hiiiiiiiiiiigh!" just remember that McCain - though old, decrepit, senile, a windbag, erratic, out of touch, angry, and- well, you get my point - could still hit a grad slam. He could still pull something, anything out of his ass. And if he does, and momentum changes, it is something that no one will be able to stop.

You go out to play the full 60 minutes, every time. So the second you see Obama smiling too much, feeling too relaxed, start yelling at the teevee. Scream at it.  I'm pretty sure Obama will be able to hear you.

1 comment:

gritz said...

That was a fantastic little column there kitzberg. You know what i really liked about it? It was like the movie roadtrip, "i can teach you ancient philosophy in 36 hours" "You can?" "I could teach ancient philosophy to a monkey in 36 hours, i just need to properly relate the material to you....you like pro wrestling right?" "who doesn't!"

You totally related the material to me, i understood politics for a brief fleeting moment in time, because it was related to sport. You're a genius.