Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What Would You Do? : Part I

Please read the posting below if you're confused about this posting.


What Would You Do?
Part I
I have yet to figure out the purpose of these words I’m currently writing (and maybe you’re reading). Not yet anyways. They could end up scrunched up in the garbage can, ashes in the fireplace, the first chapter of a memoir, or if I’m brave enough, a suicide note.

Now I know what you’re thinking. I’m pretty sure 99% of you probably jumped to the same conclusion. Hell after what I just wrote, it’s not much of a jump, more of a hop. But you would be wrong. I’m not unhappy. Quite the opposite actually.

Maybe I should introduce myself, I’m sorry if this seems a little scatterbrained, but I’m not much of a writer, I took a class once back in my early University years but it didn’t really take, I usually go off on tangents and find it hard to….ok wait sorry….here I go again…back to my introduction. My name is Ben Billings. I’m turning 44 on May 15th this year. I’m married to an amazing woman named Jennifer (yes Ben and Jen!) and our 18th anniversary is coming up in three weeks. We have two kids. Jason who’s 13, and Rachel who just turned 11. I work in the advertising industry and have a solid job that I’m not only quite good at, but fond of as well. I golf most weekends, play hockey in a beer league, and semi-regularly attend a book club most weeks if the novel in question captures my interest.

So that’s me in a nutshell I suppose. Doesn’t sound too awful does it? Well as I mentioned earlier, herein lies the problem. To this date, I am currently responsible for about 170 deaths. That’s a rough estimate with a margin of error of probably +/- 20. Sounds pretty flippant of me to throw numbers around like that when it comes to human lives doesn’t it? Well I’m not trying to seem insensitive, I just don’t know the exact number that’s all. Some may have been my fault, some may have just been a coincidence, and then of course I may have missed a few here and there. I mean I’ve taken my fair share of vacations with the family, and it’s not always easy to get a hold of a smalltown newspaper, although the internet has made it a little easier.

Sufficiently confused? I’d bet the farm that you are. No you’re not reading the confessions of a serial killer. No I’m not a pilot who somehow survived a horrific crash. If I had to be honest I’d say I don’t really have a bad bone in my body. Quite frankly what it comes down to, is that I’m a jinx.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Your writing style reminds me alot of Nick Hornby, especially the book A Long Way Down. I think I still have it if you want to read.