Monday, November 17, 2008

The Tittie Pipe

Dexter
Sundays, 9 PM EST, on TMN

I have been fortunate enough to have watched Dexter from when it first started. I don't really remember my parents ordering TMNOD. But they did. And it was a great gift in a number of ways, not the least of which was that I got hooked right off the bat. Which is not to say I'm better than late-comers (though that's likely true). It's just to say that I've known Dexter for quite some time.

And oh the difference familiarity makes.

Last night's episode was, at least according to it's script, about the butterfly effect. About one little action setting off a string of equal reactions which, given time and circumstance crest into something bigger than you could possible imagine. And that was certainly true in Sunday's episode. Give a man a kill, and he's satisfied for a day, teach a man to kill and he can murder for a lifetime.

Other blogs have said that Dex is stupid to be sharing his carefully laid out system. I don't think so. I think he is lonely. Or rather, I think he may be stupid, but he is first and foremost lonely. He needs someone to know his darkness. He needs someone who can understand him rationally. For a man with no emotions, being loved for the sake of being loved is an odd idea. The rational mind would dictate that he must be loved for his true qualities. And he aims to have his new Best Man know those qualities. Even if they are shown in intermittent flashes of his psychosis. 

But I would say the minute to minute of this episode, while totally fucking awesome, was less important than the bigger questions of morality which, when dealt with in a subdued manner are dealt with better here than on any other show on TV. Because really Miguel isn't doing anything worse than Dexter. Is Dexter born with it? Is that why it's alright? Is Miguel just doing this to further his career as a lawyer? Is that why he seems so evil? Does it really matter?

I brought up how long I've been watching Dexter because I think it holds some weight in looking at the bigger moral questions. We, as loyal viewers, have all become complacent to Dex's murders. If he doesn't murder, we almost feel gypped. That is because we know him. And so it is interesting to see Dexter creating a new version of himself. Someone who, in theory at least, follows the code (or some of it). Someone who knows the practical aspects of it all. And yet someone who we cannot root for. 

The remainder of the plot has been derided as a bit of a foregone conclusion. Miguel murders the defense lawyer, Dex has to murder him, all is well that ends well. But I'm not so sure that is the case. I'm always excited with Dexter plots, so I will just say this: I am excited for whatever happens from here on in. But I'm mostly excited for the bigger questions that will be tackled here - namely, can Dexter find some kind of justification for what he does. Or will his half pulling him toward good and normalcy and his half pulling him further and further towards his darkness pull him apart completely?

In side story news:

Worst line of the week: "Trimmed trees! The skinner's been here!!" But on the bright side - the fear in the perp's eyes about his boss suggest that they're finally hunting a bag guy that isn't a serial killer. I mean, honestly, if there are that many in Miami alone, it kind of takes away from Dexter, doesn't it? regardless, Deb chasing an evil drug-lord (or something to that effect) is a good call. And while it could risk the B-plots going into CSI-like territory, I think the character of Deb can help steer it away from mediocrity.

Also, Angels' getting laid. Awesome.

No comments: